Tuesday, May 5, 2009

05.05.09: Finishing With Heart

I walked the Flying Pig Marathon in about 8 hours (after 2.5 hours sleep) Sunday... my results don't show up on the website because they officially close the course in 7 hours, but I was beyond grateful that they kept the Finish Swine open for me, the last participant on the course. It was such an awesome moment to have a guy there waiting for me with a medal!

I walked the event, which happens to be a giant fundraiser itself for dozens of charities, on behalf of the American Heart Association. The American Heart Association encourages people to love their heart. I have to tell you, I absolutely love my heart for keeping up with me on the course. I didn't give it the heart-pounding workout that some of the participants of the race had, but it kept me moving, even when I felt I couldn't move any more!

I get a few days to relax, but I have to finish training for my June challenge, Shanandoah Hike for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, and more to come this year.

To contribute to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society on behalf of my upcoming hike (and please do), go to: http://pages.teamintraining.org/nnj/shenhke09/kwhitely I am hiking on behalf of my friend's brave battle against Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

www.fatwomanonthemountain.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where do you look to find these kinds of events?