Tuesday, September 22, 2009

9.22.09: Hard Rides to Make Life Easier for Young Breast Cancer Survivors

As I took a quick 8-mile bicycle ride through a neighboring town, I came to a stop right in front of a crossing guard. He had a bright orange vest, and gave me a "What are you doing on a bicycle look.

All he came out with was, "Looks like that's hard on your back."
"It's hard on a lot of things," I said, trying to get my balance after pushing off the curb. "But it is good for you in the long run."

And good for lots of people. I am training for day three of the Hershey's Tour de Pink, a ride to benefit the Young Survival Coalition. This organization helps young women affected by breast cancer.

I have to admit, it has taken me some time to get out on the road. I love indoor cycling classes, and while those who ride on the road say being on a bicycle is easier, it was difficult for me to get out there because of fear.

Being on a bicycle feels very exposed. I hike in the woods. I walk on the sidewalk. On a bicycle you hope those driving motor vehicles decide to share the road with you.

Being visible isn't my issue. When I ordered my bicycle shorts, I thought they should have read "Wide Load" with yellow striping on the back.

With each ride I gain a little more confidence and comfort on the bicycle. So, even if it is a little hard on me, hopefully it will make the lives of young women affected by breast cancer a little easier.

Here is the link to my YSC fundraising page: http://www.active.com/donate/tourdepink/KRichar342

www.fatwomanonthemountain.com

I want to give a special thank you to Rick at Verve in Somerville, host of a terrific fund raiser for Young Survival Coalition. We had great food and pink drinks -- and a great time.

Upcoming Events:
Join me at the Start! Heart Walk 10 a.m. Sept. 27 at Duke Island Park, Bridgewater. Click to sign up for my Action Steps Team.

World Obesity Congress, Speaker, Oct. 1

No comments: