Monday, November 17, 2008

11.17.08: Go, Ann Curry, Go!


Think good thoughts for Ann Curry. I just read that Ann Curry had three weeks to train for her trek up Mount Kilimanjaro. While it may be hard going at least she's giving it a go.

She's there for the Today Show's fabulous Ends of the Earth special (today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21487444 ) where the anchors are sent to report on challenges facing our globe. Matt Lauer is in Belize, Al Roker is in Iceland, Meredith Vieira and Ann Curry is in one of my favorite places on the planet -- Kilimanjaro.

She's on her way up to have a look at the glaciers, which I'm sure you know, are disappearing. Actually one of my climbing companions in 2007 had also been up there in 2005. She said there was a dramatic difference in the size of the the massive ice blocks that cover the mountain, which is pretty darn close to the Equator.

So, here's to seeing things and doing things while you can. Ann Curry could have backed out and said, "No way, I won't be ready for the challenge." She went for it. Whether she summits or not, you have to admire her ability to broadcast -- even as the air is getting thinner with each step she makes up the mountain.

It's so fun to see images of Kilimanjaro and know that I've been there. I want to again -- and I will.

In fact, I'm planning a Global Alliance for Africa trip for the last week of December 2009 -- hoping to summit on New Year's Day 2010. This will be the finale of my Save the World Diet -- a physical challenge each month for a good cause.

Let me know if you'd like to come along!

Return to: www.fatwomanonthemountain.com

No comments: