Monday, October 6, 2008

10.06.08: Starting My New Year's Resolution Now

My friend Jessica emailed the following invitation to me this weekend:


"Any interest in this year's midnight run in Central Park on December 31? I've always wanted to do it and it seems like a great way to kick off the New Year. It's a four mile race."


This seemed like a great idea to me -- instead of waiting to start my New Year's resolution on Jan. 1, I would use New Year's Day as my target date. This would keep me on track through the holidays -- starting with my most challenging one, Halloween. I could start 2009 -- from the very moment it begins -- on a healthy note.


I have a lot of work to do to make this goal. Truth be told, I haven't done much running since my Kilimanjaro training. (Folks say you shouldn't climb unless you're able to run four miles.) I know I can do it and I'll have lots of support by conquering this goal with Jessica, who has also lost 100 pounds, and my husband Chris who loves to run.

Either way, it will be a great base for whatever my 2009 adventures will be -- whether it's hiking on Global Alliance for Africa's fundraising trek up Mount Kenya, or joining my husband on a marathon.

So, what do you want to do by the time 2009 begins?

1 comment:

Amber Cargile said...

I love the idea of a midnight run on NYE! I wonder if there is a place here in Phoenix that does that...the weather would certainly be great.

I will be running our town's annual 5K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. Like you, I find it helps keep me on track during the holiday season, which starts at H'ween! Last time I ran the Turkey Trot, I found it a great way to start T'giving day...I came home, showered, and then started getting serious about the meal preparation...but felt so energized...like I'd earned the feast!