Wednesday, October 22, 2008

10.22.08: My Martha Stewart Moment

I was an hour and a half early for Martha Stewart's booksigning event yesterday at the Short Hills Mall. Still, I was about 100 people back in line. By the time the signing started (after wild applause when Martha arrived) the line stretched from Williams-Sonoma to beyond Bloomingdale's -- I'd say that's about a quarter mile.

Since Martha Stewart is a fellow Kilimanjaro climber, I wanted to share my story from the October issue of Self magazine with her in hopes of eventually being a guest on her show. But also to have the opportunity to tell her how much I admired her strength and courage as a person.

When I told her I also reached Uhuru Peak of Kilimanjaro, she asked when I went. As she signed the front page of her new book, "Martha Stewart's Cooking School", I told her I summited a year ago February.

She looked at me, smiled and asked, "Didn't you just love it?"

I did.

I'm so glad that I took the time to see Martha -- this woman I truly admire -- to share my story with her. I believe in taking a chances - enjoying all of life's opportunities -- because you never know what can happen.

By the way, forget all the negative things you hear about Martha. The three times I've seen her -- at two tapings of The Martha Show and at this booksigning -- she was gracious and sweet. And yes, she's just as beautiful (inside and out) in person as she is on television or in her books and magazines. (My pictures didn't turn out great as we weren't allowed to used flash in the store. My flash went off, and I got in trouble with the Williams-Sonoma staff. I'll try to post something tonight.)

Return to: www.fatwomanonthemountain.com

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I'm glad to see a Martha fan...she gets a bad rap! :)