Monday, October 20, 2008

10.20.08: Running My Own Race











I signed up for the Summit YMCA 5K/2-mile Walk last Saturday. Now, since I just started this running program, I opted to do the 2-mile course.

I had been told that 5K began at 1 p.m. but the 2-mile folks were set to start at 1:10 p.m. So I waited, and of course after getting my 8-month-old daughter Anna ready, I arrived at about 1:12 p.m.

When I showed up I learned everyone had already left about 10 minutes earlier! So just started on the course with a quick, warm-up walk and turned it into a jog.

I had a number affixed to my fleece, but no other runners or walkers around me. I was indeed running my own race. I passed a few walkers, which felt nice. In all, I jogged about 1.5 miles and finished close to last but that will not be my last race. I'm just getting started again.

What felt great was feeling strong. These past few weeks of doing light, short jogs have made me feel stronger and leaner. The scale is finally moving down, after a two-month plateau -- and I am moving forward.

Return to: http://www.fatwomanonthemountain.com/

No comments: