Wednesday, December 10, 2008

12.10.08: Oprah's Weight -- Heavy Struggles

There's been a lot of talk in these past few days about Oprah's weight gain.

In an article for O magazine, Oprah wrote that she used her Thyroid condition as a crutch and then allowed weight to pile on. I did the same thing during my pregnancy. Oprah, I feel your pain.

I don't know what it is about those of us who struggle with weight. It's like there's this switch for when we're doing well to stay in the zone, but once our old habits are triggered it's so incredibly hard to stop, like a frozen computer that you just can't reboot.

The promising message from Oprah's story is she is going to focus on her health, not getting skinny. This is the right path. I always do better on any weight loss journey when I focus on what I want to do, not how many pounds I lose.

If I said I want to lose 20 pounds, it doesn't mean anything. If I say I am going to do a marathon (which, by the way is the May challenge in my Save the World Diet plan,) well then I better get running and fuel my body so that I can make it (even if it means walking) to the finish line.

Return to: http://www.fatwomanonthemountain.com/

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I read this article too. It was inspiring to see her face up to her struggles and get past them.

I need to get past all that baggage that has been holding me back too.