Sunday, December 28, 2008

12.28.08: Can't Wait for the Start

Yesterday I learned my friend who wanted to do the Emerald Nuts Midnight Run in Central Park is not going to be able to do it with me. I could hear the disappointment in her voice as she backed out from the event because of an injury with less than a week to go.

I could have let this be an excuse to also back out. Afterall, this midnight run was her idea and one of the biggest challenges will be staying awake that late! But my husband and I decided to go on and do it anyway. While we were excited about having our friend along, this is about our wellbeing -- and the good of others (I'm using the run to raise money for UNICEF). We're not going to back off from this mission, The Save the World Diet where I take on a physical challenge each month for charity.

I'm not in perfect shape by any means. I've got 40 pounds of baby weight, wiggling when I run. But I'm going for it anyway -- even if I need to walk part of it.

The midnight race -- at the first moment of 2009 -- will be the beginning of something incredible. I just can't wait to start.

Return to: http://www.fatwomanonthemountain.com/

3 comments:

Cari said...

You go for it and have a blast while you're doing it too! Unicef will thank you, your body will too and you and hubby will create an unforgettable memory.

deirdre said...

You can do this, Kara!

Jessica said...

You know I'm cheering for you the entire way. I feel terrible about this.

I went to the doctor, it's Runners Knee, which is treatable (thank goodness) but the prescription is less running and exercises that strengthen my muscles around the knee. She also said I need to make sure my sneakers fit right. So I'm going to treat myself to a new pair for New Years!