Monday, December 1, 2008

12.01.08: Coffee for a Cause


Today is World AIDS Day and to mark the event, Starbucks decided to donate 5 cents from the purchase of certain beverages to help fight AIDS and support those afflicted with or affected by the disease.

When I posted the event on my Facebook account, I got some flack saying that 5 cents is a puny amount compared to the amount of profit the company makes. Even though those nickels do add up when it comes to the millions of Starbucks customers, it's not so much about the money raised as it is the awareness.

Companies such as the Gap and Apple have taken part in the Product (RED) Campaign, making it hip to wear clothing or get gear that also goes for a good cause. If it weren't for these campaigns, and Bono behind them, some people may not take time to think about the global epidemic of AIDS.

It's the little things that add up -- whether trying to lose weight or help the world -- that lead to big change.

So, kudos to Starbucks for raising funds and awareness for the cause. I picked up my Grande Gingersnap Non-Fat Latte this morning and drank to hope for all those living with the effects of HIV/AIDS, especially the more than 13 million AIDS orphans in Africa.

And if you want to do more than sip coffee, join me on my Kilimanjaro climb to benefit AIDS orphans departing in December 2009. To make a donation on behalf of my journey or in honor of World AIDS Day, go to: http://www.globalallianceafrica.org/.

Return to: www.fatwomanonthemountain.com

No comments: